Tuesday, June 24

Memoirs of Mat the Kampung Boy!



















Hmm i like the given title very much...It has the subtle element of modernization in local traditional flavor (ok i probably being over-exaggerated here ..hehe)

Anyyyway, it was a pleasant and amusing surprise to hear ‘Lat the Kampung Boy’ is making a debut in Germany (it was covered in Buletin Utama TV3 tonite FYI).

Does the graphical novel ring a bell to anyone? Yes?

Feeling proud by the news, i paused a moment for a quick flashback to my multicolored and mischievous childhood.

" Yeaappp i remembered reading ‘The Kampung Boy’ when I was 7-8 years old. I was in Chinese School back then and being the minority in school, I was struggling and putting all effort in mastering the language (which sadly I have forgotten now).
I was overwhelmed by the language that I read most books and comics in Chinese. So, to attract my attention in reading Malay/English materials, dad bought me all sort of delightful series in Bahasa & English. And Kampung Boy is one of them.............
I remembered reading them; I remembered Mat and his multi-racial kampung friends; I remembered the simple illustrations of just pen and ink, but it has a super-expressive character that promote a peaceful, simple and humble life of a kampong boy in a multicultural village."
The simple illustrations reflect that even in a tiny kampong, life can be as intriguing and edifying, filled with affection and love. Well, that’s all I remembered.

Now, Kampung Boy as a graphical novel and Lat as the popular South East Asia cartoonist have made their way far in the world map. From U.S to German, it has been amazingly well accepted by International readers. SYABAS!

p/s: I also used to admire the kampung lifestyle design in Kampung Warisan residential area, conceptualized by Lat or Datuk Mohd Nor Khalid , lush in greenery at Jalan Jelatek, Ampang.

3 comments:

ZaTiL said...

Kampung Warisan... i pun dr dulu dok berangan sampai skrg :D

michelleho said...

Aiks? You were in a Chinese school? So terar ar? So, when ru going to do gibberish chinese talks with me? Hehe...

Ms. Reny said...

Zatil: I dulu memang suka but since that area is getting so congested, i dah kureng sikit.

Michelle: U dont know that i am majoring in Management Information System (acceptable coz my computer knowledge is sooo minimal) and now, u claimed that u dont know that i went to Chinese school..sob sob sob :( i have been living in an illusion state. :( :( :(